Sunday public worship is expected to resume at St. Augustine’s on Sunday, May 10, 2020.
Our concept for hygiene and protection is based on the minimum standards set by the State of Hessen, our Bishop’s guidelines, and other churches’ best practice.
The key measures are:
Other important rules and measures are:
- Collection plates and baskets may not be passed on. The collection plate will be available at the front of the church for you to place your contribution as you come in. We encourage you however to move to bank transfer and standing order (or the PayPal button on our website) as touching and counting money is a risk.
- Communion: Will be offered in one kind only (bread) using wafers and at two stations (not the altar rail). People will wait in a short line, as called up by the ushers, and with appropriate distancing
- Ushers will have an expanded role as they will seat people (who wait outside until called), call them up to communion row by row. At the end of the service, we also ask you to remain seated, until your row is called to leave.
- There will be no books – just single-use bulletins. .
- In keeping with the practice of other churches, and the recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute we will not have a full choir and there will be no congregational singing to start off with. To support us musically in our worship, there will be a small ensemble of up to 5 people in the loft, and of course organ music.
- Coffee hour is suspended.
- Children’s church and youth activities will remain online only for now, also our Bible studies/formation. There will be no creche.
- Online worship: For those who can’t come to church, we will continue to record or livestream the Sunday service. Compline (Fridays at 20:30) will also continue to be offered online as will the Wednesday worship and Bible study.