Hilfe für Malawi
Some eight years ago the founder of the German charity Hilfe für Malawi, Dr Harald Braun, knocked at the door of St. Augustine’s and asked if St. Augustine’s might be interested in supporting the Anglican hospital St Anne’s in Lilongwe. Our then priest immediately said yes.
Since then we have supported various projects in Malawi:
– Supplying bed linen, bicycles and other useful things
– Co-financing midwife training
– Helping the Anglican Bishop equip his office
– Changing petroleum lamps into solar lamps
– Sponsoring two bicycle ambulances and medicines for a palliative care unit
We currently work with the charity Malawihilfe e.V. in Gelnhausen. Here is their 2023 Christmas letter: Malawihilfe Weihnachten 2023 and report for 2023: Spenderbrief Malawi 2023 (both in German) In summary, the report focusses on their efforts to provide for better school buildings, food, writing materials and clothing for the school children after the devastating tropical storm earlier on and on their efforts to provide better medical/hospital care in the Hora-Gesundheitszentrum and in the Bandawe Missionsklinik.
Other activities are:
- drilling for fresh clean water wells
- providing seeds and animals for poor families
- planting trees
- practical advice on how to start a small business etc.
Several of her projects in Malawi are co-financed by the German Ministry for
Economic Cooperation. It is an amazing range of activities for the benefit of the people of Malawi!